Insulation is crucial for homes in North Carolina to combat intense heat and cold. These temperature changes could cause your HVAC system to run inefficiently if insulation is improperly installed, and when your HVAC system runs poorly, your energy consumption increases.
One of the most popular forms of insulation being used by home builders and contractors today is spray foam insulation. Although spray foam has been around since the 1980s, many homeowners are unfamiliar with this insulation product, the best places to use it in the home and how long it lasts compared to the other alternatives.
Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
Spray foam insulation material is made from an inert polymer and is created when isocyanate and resin mix. It can expand up to 40 to 100 times its liquid volume once it’s sprayed in place. Once it’s sprayed to the wall cavities, attics, basements, garages or ceilings, spray foam insulation expands and hardens to fit snugly in hard-to-reach areas and around piping and wiring.
There are many benefits to spray foam insulation over conventional forms of insulation.
- Long-lasting: Spray foam insulation is one of the best materials designed to last a very long time. Once the material has hardened, it typically does not degrade over time.
- Lower energy bills: Spray foam insulation helps lower your energy bills because it is an excellent insulation material.
- Easy application: It is one of the easiest insulation materials to apply. Because spray foam material is composed of chemicals, it is recommended that a professional HVAC technician install this product.
- Improved air quality: Spray foam insulation is useful for applications in moist environments or below ground level to help reduce mold growth and improve air quality.
- Stronger insulation alternative: When completely dry, spray foam insulation becomes very rigid. It improves building strength because it glues the building members together and will stay intact for many years.
Best Uses for Spray Foam Insulation
Whether you’re starting a new project, building a new home or re-insulating your current home or commercial building, spray foam can be installed practically anywhere in your home or commercial building.
Some of the best uses for spray foam insulation include:
- Interior and exterior walls
- Lofts or attics
- Crawl spaces
How Long Does Spray Foam Insulation Last?
Spray foam is effective, but how long does it last? After all, you don’t want to need new insulation every five years. Good news: Spray foam insulation can last for more than 30 years if properly and professionally applied. It needs very little maintenance, but your insulation technician can tell you more about the specific type you install.
Choose Prime Energy Group for Spray Foam Insulation
One key difference between spray foam and other forms of insulation: It’s absolutely not a DIY project. Due to the specialized equipment and chemicals used during spray foam installation, we strongly recommend you hire a licensed installer to do the job to avoid any health hazards and ensure quality coverage.
Contact Prime Energy Group Charlotte at (980) 339-3293 to learn more about spray foam insulation. We are already equipped with the best gear and tools to professionally perform your installation.